- How are animals transported?
It is usually allowed to transfer four animal maximum, that’s why you have to reserve a place for your pet beforehand. You should have a special container for your pet transportation meeting International air carrier requirements, no matter if the pet flies in the cabin or in the cargo compartment.
A container must be large enough for a pet to stand up and turn around in a normal position. There also must be some food for a pet. Container must have access of oxygen and a solid pallet. It is paid as excess baggage.
If dogs are transported in the cabin, they must have muzzles on and be on the leash.
- In what part of the plane are animals transported?
- Transportation of animals in a cabin is forbidden almost by all airlines. An exception is made only for dogs under five kg (with some airlines – under 8 kg), guide-dogs for blind and deaf passengers. Guide-dogs are transferred free of charge. An individual ticket and an individual place is to be bought for a dog over 40 kg. Service of passengers with pets is a priority for most major international companies such as Lufthansa and Delta. KLM pays special attention to four-footed friends. A special hotel is made available to cats and dogs on transit flights through Amsterdam.
- What documents do I need to transport my pet?
- If you decide to go by plane on vacation or to an exhibition with your pet, an airline should be informed about it beforehand.
As a rule for domestic flights you must have only a veterinary certificate, which is given three days prior to a trip and valid only during your trip. Such certificate must contain the owner’s surname, the name of your pet, his sex and age, dates of injections and analyses results for worms. It must also contain the information about your journey.
If you transport your pet beyond CIS, you must have not only a veterinary certificate, but an export license, which in some cases can be replaced by a pedigree certificate. Kindly note, that a veterinary certificate received by you three days prior to the trip, shall be replaced by an international veterinary certificate. Documents are checked by customs veterinary control on departure date. If you have some problems with relation to documents issue, you can appeal to Veterinary control office of Russian Veterinary Department of on the state frontier. Sometimes questions concerning animal genetic value arise. The relevant document is issued by Russian Felinological or Canine Federations. Many countries have strict limitations on animals import, requiring additional injections and certificates for your pet; your pet may be also kept in quarantine for 6 months. Antylissic injection is basic and obligatory for all countries.